Knitting My Life Away

Knitting My Life Away

Sunday, January 8, 2012

I Need Another Cast On

There are days when I have an obsession to cast on a new project. Yesterday was one of those days.

I decided that I have a beautiful blue sleeveless shirt that I would like to wear to work. However it is winter in Canada, so a sleeveless shirt isn't going to work without something to keep my arms warm. So I decided I needed a shrug.

I went through all my magazines to look at what shrug patterns where in the house. I found a nice one designed by Joanne Turcotte in the September 2007 Creative Knitting called the Comfy Shoulder Shrug.

Great, now to find some medium weight yarn. I had been knitting a cowl that I had decided years ago to frog with some Kertzer Northern Chunky in cranberry cocktail. It was the right weight, so I cast on and started knitting. By the time I had 3 inches I knew this was the wrong yarn. I don't think I'd be able to bend my arms if I'd finished the shrug.

The search was back on. I also had some Sandnes Mini Alpakka in lilac. The alpaca is fingering weight, so I figured I could double it.

So far it is working well. I have about 3 inches done and I'm anxious to keep going. I want to see if I can get this finished before the end of the week, or before the colour and measurements for the grad in Kaz is posted on-line. I'm sure once it is posted I will want to start that immediately.

Oh, I'm not sure if the shrug will go with the shirt that sparked the need for a shrug. I decided I could always buy a new shirt in a colour that would work with the shrug.

No comments:

Post a Comment