Knitting My Life Away

Knitting My Life Away

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Organizing and Updating

I've been trying to organize my knitting projects, needles and stash. As a part of this project I'm also trying to up date my stuff on Ravelry. One reason is I love Addi circular knitting needles. I've heard they are reusable and that I don't have to have a new pair for each project, but I don't know what I own so I sort of keep buying them.

Check out my beautiful organizing system. These are just a few of my bins. We have a problem in our basement with periodic flooding incidents during the summer. We've had 3 floods in the past 5 years. Because of the possibility of water in the basement we try to keep everything off the floor and in plastic bins. I've found that shoe boxes work really well for my knitting projects.

The flood in the summer of 2005 brought raw sewage with the rainwater into the basement. Out went my stash and all my needles. It sort of gave me a fresh start and an excuse for overindulgence. But come on already.

I think at this point I have 2 sweaters, 3 summer tops, 2 scarfs, 1 pair of fingerless mittens, 2 shawls, 2 bags, 2 baby blankets, 2 afghans, and a cowl in various stages of process. Oh my gawd, I've just realized that I have ADHKD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Knitting Disorder)

Some, like this top are hibernating because I goofed some how and I don't have the heart to frog the entire left side. I must have changed the gauge because the left front is less than 1/2 the width it should be.
This beautiful Angel Shawl has an error as the stitches are out. Both these projects will take some concentrated time to figure out what's up and what's to be done next. I might even need professional help.

On the other hand, this top is perfect at the moment. I just need time to figure out what to do next. The point I'm at now is written with some of the instructions already given and some new instructions. I have to go back and figure out how far along I'm with the first set of instructions and then and the new instructions. Confused? Well, so am I.
The instructions for the center decreases were set much earlier. I need to decrease for the shoulder now, but continue decreasing for the center. I'll figure it out one day, again when I have a working brain.

At the moment I'm working on 3 projects. The Tweed Folded Bag that is giving me conniptions with the garter stitch border. Have I ever mentioned I hate picking up stitches or counting over 100. This project involves both picking up stitches and counting to 400 or so. Argh!

In addition I'm finishing the second of these Drops Alpaca fingerless mittens. Good thing the weather's been so mild as I've not needed them yet. These are my purse knitting as I carry them around in my purse.

And I'm working on this cowl. It is the Hobnail Wrap designed by Penny Ollman and shown in the Fall 2009 issue of Knitter's Magazine. I was actually 5 rows from finishing when I discovered I had 4 extra stitches and the bobbles didn't match up. So I frogged it and now I'm on the second row of bobbles. Only 8 more rows of bobbles to go.

The bag, and cowl are Christmas presents. I also want to make another bag. They all have to be finished by the 18th of December. I better get at it.

I'm not allowed to purchase anymore yarn or start any more projects but, the last time I was in Mary's Yarn store in Unionville I saw the most beautiful silk yarn. It was a variegated purple/silver colourway and only $35 a skein. Hmmmm, if I sort my projects and finish some, maybe I can buy some for my Christmas present to myself. Don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment