Knitting My Life Away

Knitting My Life Away

Saturday, March 7, 2009

The trouble with DPN

DPN are driving me insane.

First they are instruments of torture, the 8 inch-going to gouge out your eye needles. I have a real problem with sharp things near my eyes. The typical DPN is SO long that I absolutely hate using them for socks as the knitting is so far away from the sharp point of the needles. I tend to take my glasses off which makes me quite blind so I have to bring my work much closer (like an inch or two from my eyes) in order to see anything. It's like those horrible 3 D scary movies of the past with the scary item flying back and forth from your eyes, except these would really hurt. Can't you just hear generations of mothers saying, "you'll poke your eye out!"
Secondly the bamboo needles bend. I found some really nice 5 inch bamboo needles, one sock down and I'd bent them all. I guess I really put pressure on them, but how do you get rid of ladders if you don't pull tight, and in the pulling I guess I put pressure. So for sock two I changed to 6 inch bamboo and they are also beginning to curve. And working with pointy, very sharp needles an inch or two from my eyes with a slight bend so the far point is not in the same place as the near point or where my fingers are holding the thing is driving me crazy.
I just hope my feet appreciate all the hard work and sacrifices my fingers and eyes go through to make these socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment